Today was a pretty eventful day :) Our hostel group woke up bright and early at 5AM to drive over to Pune's prime flower market with our host mom, Swapna. It smelled absolutely amazing. Flowers were unloaded by the truckloads, and were laid out in giant heaps around the market area. I was a little frustrated because my nikon was broken, but definitely enjoyed what I saw. Picture below:
From there, I went to my Contemporary India class and then to my internship. Today was super productive. I finalized my project for the organization, and got to listen in on self-help meetings of women from the area. They are all so incredibly inspiring; all are volunteer social workers and are consistently striving to make Tadiwala Road a better place to live.
After my internship, I along with the other hostel girls went with Swapna again to her aunt's home. Her aunt taught us how to make Modak, which is a traditional sweet from Maharashtra. To make it, we first boiled rice flour with oil and water to make dough, and rolled it into several small pancakes. Then, we
spooned a mixture of sugar and coconut onto each 'pancake' and pinched the sides of the dough to make dumplings. It was a lot harder than it looks! Picture below:
From there, I went to my Contemporary India class and then to my internship. Today was super productive. I finalized my project for the organization, and got to listen in on self-help meetings of women from the area. They are all so incredibly inspiring; all are volunteer social workers and are consistently striving to make Tadiwala Road a better place to live.
After my internship, I along with the other hostel girls went with Swapna again to her aunt's home. Her aunt taught us how to make Modak, which is a traditional sweet from Maharashtra. To make it, we first boiled rice flour with oil and water to make dough, and rolled it into several small pancakes. Then, we
spooned a mixture of sugar and coconut onto each 'pancake' and pinched the sides of the dough to make dumplings. It was a lot harder than it looks! Picture below:

No comments:
Post a Comment