Thursday, July 19, 2012

So here's what I did in the past week:

Over the weekend, a small group of us watched Cocktail, the summer's "most anticipated Bollywood release". Though not as amusing as the last Bollywood movie we watched, it was still very enjoyable. The movie had a lot of catchy dance numbers and was also very modern (filming took place in London, and in Cape Town! :o)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GYi4n_gHUc <-- one of the songs from the movie.

We also got to check out the local Papa Johns in Pune. It was really cool. Papa John's in India is like a sit-down restaurant instead of a fast food place. Waiters serve you pizza, and bring out plates of creamy garlic sauce and ketchup. There was even a round of Akon songs playing the whole time we were eating our meal, which made the whole event even funnier.

At Kathak, I learned some actual dance moves! It was really exciting, but I'm still fighting the urge to dance like I used to when I took Bharatnatyam lessons. Hopefully I'll be able to practice it well enough to perform next week!

I also went on 3 field visits at my internship. We mostly visited pregnant womens' homes, where I asked them questions about their prenatal diets and care techniques. I really enjoy this part of my day. It's always so interesting to listen to these womens' stories, and to see how and where they live. The women we talk to are also often very excited to answer our questions, which makes the interview that much more engaging. One woman even made us tea! It was a really nice gesture.

Sitting in on one of the MOMS committee meetings within the community.

Bismila, Asha, and Nisha [our field workers], with the nice lady that made us tea!

a picture of us walking through the community 


This area is usually submerged during monsoon season. However, since the rains have been late this year, the area is very barren. I just thought it was an interesting image to capture.


No comments:

Post a Comment